Fast & Straightforward onboarding given your paperwork is in place. No min depo.
You are eligible for an account at DEGIRO if you reside in the following countries:
- EU countries except for Luxembourg, Malta, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania
To use the UK branch you will need to have a UK mainland bank account denominated in GBP.
For Hungary the service is limited to the degree that you can’t keep cash on your account if you don’t trade for over 48h, the funds will be returned to your bank account.
For Hungarian and other EU residents, who’s countries are not supported, we recommend to open an account with an Irish branch. To overcome local bank restriction (Degiro only allows banks where it has official operations), we recommend you to look into: bunq, n26 (only supports EU passports), or other relevant digital banks.
Account Types & Min Deposit
At DEGIRO trading platform, you can set among these account types:
- Day Trader
The trading fees are the same for each profile, but the main difference comes from the risk levels and availability of instruments.
|Trade: Shares, Bonds, Investment Funds, and Trackers (ETFs)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Trade: Leveraged Products and Warrants||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Buying on margin||No||No||Yes (up to 50%of your available margin)||Yes (up to 100% of your available margin)||Yes (up to 100% of your available margin with additional margin during trading hours)|
|Trade Derivatives (Options, Futures, and CFDs)||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Free real-time prices on Euronext exchanges||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Free dividend and coupon processing||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
You can read more about DEGIRO profiles here. Other aspects of the profile types:
- Tax: at the time of our review, DEGIRO does not provide tax-free account options like DEGIRO ISA or others that apply in other European countries. Two exceptions are Sweden where ISK is provided and the Netherlands where pension account is provided.
- Joint account: contact your local customer support for more info.
- Corporate account: business account, owned by a business entity
- Account for minors: contact the local customer support for more info.
- CFD trading: available only through a separate account – no CFD trading can be conducted on the same accounts as other assets.
How to open an account at Degiro
The approval of the account is quite fast, it takes up to 3 working days. Degiro seems to understand the competitive landscape with competitors like robinhood, revolut and others entering the EU market.
To register you’d need at least:
- a copy of your passport or ID card
- the bank account number from which you will fund the investment account
After the initial registration you will have three additional tasks before your account is activated and you can trade:
- Complete an appropriateness test to learn about the risk and challenges of trading.
- Provide proof of residency and likely a set of additional relevant to your account type documents.
- Agree to the conditions for real-time prices.
- Transfer money to your investment account.